Record

CodeNA8835
Dates1774-1827
Person NameStewart; Hon Sir (1774-1827); Lieutenant-General
SurnameStewart
ForenamesHon Sir
EpithetLieutenant-General
ActivityLieutenant-General Hon Sir William Stewart (1774-1827) was the second son of John, 7th Earl of Galloway and Anne, daughter of Sir James Dashwood, Bart. He received his commission as ensign in the 42nd Foot, 1786; became a lieutenant in the 67th Foot, 1787; and a captain in 1791. He served with the 22nd Foot in the West Indies, 1793-1794, and after he was wounded he returned to England and became a major in the 31st Foot. In 1795 he was made lieutenant-colonel and assistant adjutant-general to Lord Moira and later that year he was given command of the 67th Foot. In 1800 Stewart became lieutenant-colonel of an experimental corps of riflemen, later to be called the 95th and eventually the Rifle Brigade, and in 1801 Stewart was made a colonel .In 1804 he was appointed Brigadier of Volunteers in the eastern counties, and married Frances, the daughter of the Hon John Douglas. Having served on Nelson's flagship at Copenhagen he was asked by Nelson to name his son Horatio after him. Their daughter was called Louisa. In 1806 he took command of a brigade in Sicily and later went to Egypt with Fraser's expedition. After acting as commandant of Syracruse he was promoted to major-general, 1808, and then made a colonel of the 95th Rifles. In 1810 Stewart commanded the British and Portuguese troops of the garrison of Cadiz until he joined the 2nd Division, and was later sent home due to ill-health. He returned to the Peninsula in 1812 with the rank of lieutenant-general and with command of the 1st Division and then the 2nd Division.Stewart was wounded 6 times during his career. In 1813 he was made a K B, and for his services in the Peninsula he received the gold cross with two clasps, the Portugese order of the Tower and Sword, and the Spanish order of San Fernando. In 1815 he received the G C B. Stewart was the MP for Saltash in 1795 and for Wigtonshire from 1796 until his resignation in 1816. In 1818 Stewart was made colonel of the 1st Battalion of the Rifle Brigade and retired to Cumloden, Kircudbrightshire.
Add to My Items