|Activity||The Stirling and Clackmannan Police Force was created in 1949 on the merger of the separate Stirlingshire and Clackmannanshire Forces. In 1975 the Force was succeeded by Central Scotland Police.|
Counties were empowered to set up police forces by the Rogue Money (Scotland) Act 1839 (2 & 3 Vict., c.65), which provided finance for the setting up of a county police force by the commissioners of supply. The Police (Scotland) Act 1857 (20 & 21 Vict., c.72) required all counties which had not already done so to establish and maintain a police force, and established the post of chief constable. County police forces were administered by a police committee made up of commissioners of supply, the lord lieutenant and the sheriff of the county. The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889 (52 & 53 Vict., c.50) transferred the powers and duties of the police committees to standing joint committees composed of county councillors, commissioners of supply and the sheriff-principal.
Under the 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act (19 & 20 Geo. V, c.25) some police forces were merged. There have been further mergers since that date and today there are only eight police forces in Scotland: Northern, Grampian, Tayside, Central Scotland, Lothian and Borders, Fife, Dumfries and Galloway, and Strathclyde.