|Activity||Falkirk was erected a Burgh of Barony in 1600 by King James VI (1567-1625) in favour of Alexander, 7th Lord Livingston and 1st Earl of Linlithgow (d. 1621). A burgh of barony was presided over by a feudal superior who had authority from the Crown to administer justice and to hold barony courts dealing with crimes and matters of good neighbourhood until 1747 and thereafter solely matters of good neighbourhood. It was erected a Burgh of Regality by King Charles I (1625-1649) in favour of James Livingston, 1st Earl of Callendar (d. c.1674) in 1646.|
By the Representation of the People (Scotland) Act 1832 (2 & 3 Will. IV, c.65) Falkirk and four other burghs were combined within the Falkirk District of Burghs to elect an MP. As a consequence of that, the passage of the Parliamentary Burghs (Scotland) Act 1833 (3 & 4 Will. IV, c.77) permitted the burgh to elect 12 Councillors including a Provost who would administer the town's affairs.
The main industries of the town were banking, mining, fairs, flour-milling, iron-working and brewing. In 1841 the population was 8,209, which rose to 13,170 by 1881, and was 37,579 in 1971. In 1859 Falkirk adopted the Police of Towns (Scotland) Act 1850 (13 & 14 Vict., c.33). The means of doing so was a local act of parliament, the Falkirk Police and Improvement Act 1859 (22 & 23 Vict., ch.cxxiii). Under this the police commissioners were to be the Town Council, and obtained authority to take over the water, sanitation, street cleansing, public works and improvements, and various other powers previously held by the Stentmasters or Feuars including the raising of assessments to pay for works in the town. This Act sought to clarify what authority was responsible for which function in the town.
In 1873 Falkirk adopted the 1862 General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act (25 & 26 Vict, c 101) which gave additional powers in lighting, cleansing, improvements and police matters. The Falkirk Corporation Act 1890 (53 & 54 Vict., ch.xiv) confirmed the powers of the Town Council as police commissioners, transferred all of the Feuars' remaining powers and property to Falkirk Town Council, and extended the municipal and police boundaries. The Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c.49) provided for the incorporation of burghs and was adopted by Falkirk in 1900, leading to any responsibilities held by the Burgh or Police Commissioners being passed to the Town Council.
In 1975 Falkirk Town Council was abolished under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c.65). Its powers were assumed by Central Regional Council and Falkirk District Council. There was further local government reorganisation in 1996 under the Local Government etc (Scotland) Act 1994 (c.39), which placed Falkirk in the new unitary authority Falkirk Council area.