Record

CodeNA7958
Dates1901-1975
Person NamePeterhead Town Council; 1901-1975
ActivityPeterhead was created a burgh of barony on 29 July 1587 by King James VI (1567 - 1625) in favour of the Earls Marischal. A burgh of barony was presided over by a feudal superior who had authority from the Crown to administer justice and to hold barony courts dealing with crimes and matters of good neighbourhood up to 1747 and thereafter solely matters of good neighbourhood. Though the town thrived, the Earls Marischal had their estates forfeited after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715 and the burgh was purchased by the Merchant Maiden Hospital of Edinburgh (now the Merchant Company Education Board of Edinburgh). The Peterhead Water Supply etc Act 1820 (1 Geo IV, ch. lxxxvii) instituted the election of commissioners to oversee the burgh administration in conjunction with the Hospital representatives. By the Representation of the People (Scotland) Act 1833 (2 & 3 Will. IV, c.65) Peterhead and five other burghs were combined within the Elgin District of Burghs to elect an MP. As a consequence of that, the passage of the Parliamentary Burghs (Scotland) Act 1833 (3 & 4 Will. IV, c.77) permitted the burgh to elect 12 Councillors including a Provost who would administer the town's affairs. In 1862 the burgh adopted the General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c. 101). Burgh administration was carried out by police commissioners who were responsible for the cleansing, lighting, policing and public health of the burgh. The main industries in the town were whale and seal fishing, and later herring and white fish, before the discovery of North Sea oil. Under the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c.49) the police commissioners were replaced by Peterhead Town Council in January 1901. Peterhead Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c. 65). Its powers were assumed by Grampian Regional Council and Banff and Buchan District Council. These in turn were replaced by Aberdeenshire Council in 1996 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1994 (c. 39).
Corporate NamePeterhead Town Council
Add to My Items