Record

CodeNA7571
Dates1859-1995
Person NameCarnoustie Co-operative Society; 1859-1995
ActivityIn 1859 the first of two Co-operative Societies was established in Carnoustie under the name of the Carnoustie Co-operative Society Ltd. The second was established in 1890 and called the Carnoustie Equitable Society Ltd. They merged in 1914 to form the Carnoustie Co-operative Society Ltd. In 1967 this organisation became part of the East Angus Co-operative Society Ltd. On 24 March 1995 the East Angus Co-operative Society Ltd bought the remaining Co-operative shop in Carnoustie at 1/3 Dundee Street.At a meeting held in July 1859 by a group of Edinburgh workmen in the house of Adam Walker in Grove Street, Edinburgh, it was enthusiastically agreed to form a Co-operative Society. The following month a further meeting took place where a committee was appointed to draw up rules. During subsequent meetings the rules were passed and Mr John Borrowman was appointed as the first president of the Society.The name of St. Cuthbert's was probably taken from the parish church of the district where the Society was founded.The first St.Cuthbert's food store was opened on the 4th November 1859 in Ponton Street, Fountainbridge, Edinburgh.One of the original members speaking of the opening said ""We opened with considerable spirit and found new relish in our butter, ham and meal in that it was turned over to us from our own shop. We were all working men, but we began to have the feeling that we were something more.""In 1880 the Society moved into a prestigious new offices based at 92 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh which remains to this day as their Head Office.During the coming decades the amalgamation of smaller societies and a policy of expansion saw St.Cuthbert's grow to become one of the largest independent societies in Britain.Over the years since it's inception St. Cuthbert's had been strengthened by it's amalgamation with a great many small localised societies, however the most significant merger was to come in January 1981 when it was agreed to join forces with the Dalziel Society of Motherwell, a move which was taken to ensure future growth and extend trading areas. The famous name of St. Cuthberts disappeared into history as the new combined Scottish Midland Co-operative Society, Scotmid for short, was formed.The subsequent years of the 1980's saw numerous other small societies from throughout central Scotland flocking to join the new and exiting Co-op, even in recent years small societies have continued to join forces with Scotmid, the latest being the transfer of the North Tayside, Strathaven and Kilwinning Society in 1998.
Corporate NameCarnoustie Co-operative Society
Add to My Items