|Activity||Leven (Fife) was erected a burgh of barony by George, Archbishop of St Andrews in favour of Mr George Lauder of Bass in 1609 (a grant confirmed by King James VI the same year). A burgh of barony was presided over by a feudal superior who had authority from the Crown to administer justice and to hold barony courts dealing with crimes and matters of good neighbourhood until 1747 and thereafter solely matters of good neighbourhood. Originally weaving was a source of employment in Leven, but later its harbour permitted good trading links, and foundries, cotton, brick and rope works and bleach-fields existed. The firm of Henry Balfour (a foundry and engineering works) provided much employment in the 20th century. The population was 2,501 in 1871, and 9,472 in 1971.|
In 1833 Leven became a police burgh when it adopted the Burgh Police (Scotland) Act 1833 (3 & 4 Will. IV, c.46). The act allowed any existing royal burgh or burgh of barony to establish a police system with responsibility for the watching, cleansing, paving and lighting. This and later acts sometimes resulted in a dual administration, of police magistrates or commissioners, and town bailies and councillors. In 1867 the town adopted the General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c.101), extending the police commissioners' powers. Under the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c.49) the police commissioners were replaced by Leven Town Council in January 1901.
Leven Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c.65). Its powers were assumed by Fife Regional Council and Kirkcaldy District Council. These in turn were replaced by Fife Council in 1996 under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994 (c.39).