|Activity||Fife County Constabulary was created by the Commissioners of Supply for the County of Fife on 13 May 1840. Counties were empowered to set up police forces by the Rogue Money (Scotland) Act 1839 (2 & 3 Vict., c.65), which provided finance for the setting up of a county police force by the commissioners of supply. The Police (Scotland) Act 1857 (20 & 21 Vict., c.72) required all counties which had not already done so to establish and maintain a police force, and established the post of chief constable. County police forces were administered by a police committee made up of commissioners of supply, the lord lieutenant and the sheriff of the county. The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889 (52 & 53 Vict., c.50) transferred the powers and duties of the police committees to standing joint committees composed of county councillors, commissioners of supply and the sheriff-principal.|
Under the 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act (19 & 20 Geo. V, c.25) some police forces were merged. There have been further mergers since that date and today there are only eight police forces in Scotland: Northern, Grampian, Tayside, Central Scotland, Lothian and Borders, Fife, Dumfries and Galloway, and Strathclyde.
In 1859 the burghs of St Andrews, Dysart, Burntisland, Cupar and Newburgh formed their own police forces. These forces had been disbanded by 1869, and the burghs were served by the County Constabulary. From 1840 to 1846 and 1877 to 1949 Kirkcaldy Burgh maintained its own police force. Dunfermline City Police were formed in 1832 and Dunfermline retained their force until 1949.
On 16 May 1949 the three police forces in Fife (Dunfermline City Police, Fife County Constabulary and Kirkcaldy Burgh Police) amalgamated to form Fife Constabulary. The new force was run by the Fife Police Joint Committee, representing Fife County Council, Dunfermline Town Council and Kirkcaldy Town Council. In 1975 responsibility passed to Fife Regional Council, and in 1995 to Fife Council.