Record

CodeNA6880
Dates1866-1940
Person NameLevern Kirk Session; 1866-1940
ActivityA church was opened at Levern on the 30th May 1835 and in the following year a chapel constitution was granted to it, as was a distinct district. The parish of Levern was subsequently disjoined from the parishes of the Abbey of Paisley and of Eastwood in 1866, and erected quoad sacra. In 1940, following the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Levern Parish church was united with the former United Free Church congregation of Nitshill to form the charge of Levern and Nitshill. After the union the old Levern parish church remained in use as the place of worship and the Nitshill church was demolished. Further union later followed in 1985 with Barrhead South under the name of Barrhead South and Levern. The Kirk Session sits within the Presbytery of Paisley.

Each congregation of the Church of Scotland has a Kirk Session, which comprises the minister(s) and the ruling elders, all members of the Session (including the minister) being elders. The elders' duty is care for the spiritual needs of the congregation; each of them has a district of the parish assigned to him/her. The Kirk Session determines the number of elders. The minister is moderator of the Session, and there is a clerk who has custody of all the Session's records. There may also be a treasurer, and an officer or beadle. The Session must have maintained a communion roll, containing the names and addresses of the communicant church members within the parish.

The Kirk Session's duties are to maintain good order amongst its congregation (including administering discipline and superintending the moral and religious condition of the parish), and to implement the Acts of the General Assembly. The Kirk Session is at the base of the pyramid of church courts, and it is subject to the review of the Presbytery in which it is situated, and to the superior courts of the Church. Each Kirk Session elects one of its number to represent it at the Presbytery (and formerly at the Synod).

Into the 19th century, there used to be weekly collections made for the support of the poor, but as the state began to assume responsibility for their support (by means of taxation) so funds collected from communicants might be directed to special schemes (eg support of missionaries), more recently through a weekly freewill offering scheme. Seat or pew rents were also quite common (money paid for a fixed seat in a church), but declined rapidly from the 1950s. Many congregations now have a congregational board, which monitors income and expenditure. Former Free Church congregations often had Deacons' Courts, which had responsibility for the whole property of the congregation, and had to apply spiritual principles in the conduct of their affairs.
Corporate NameLevern Kirk Session
Add to My Items