|Activity||Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire, was a burgh of barony dependent on the Crichton family well before its re-erection in favour of Robert Crichton in 1484. In 1598, it was constituted a royal burgh by James VI. |
In the 19th century Sanquhar was governed by a provost, 2 baillies, a dean of guild, a treasurer and 4 councillors.
The town enjoyed prosperity under the auspices of the third Duke of Queensberry.
Sanquhar is a small town and parish of Upper Nithsdale, Dumfries-shire. National Grid Reference NS7809
A town, until 1975 in the county of Dumfries and a royal burgh until 1975. A police burgh from 1890. A small burgh from 1930 until 1975.
Sanquhar united with Dumfries, Annan, Kirkcudbright and Loochmaben to return one MP to the British parliament in the 19th century.