|Activity||County town of Buteshire and seat of sheriff court. Rothesay was a burgh of barony from an early period. It was erected into a royal burgh in 1400 by charter from Robert III. A charter of confirmation and novodamus was granted by James VI in 1584. The Marquis of Bute often held the office of provost and from 1788-1839, the office was held exclusively by members of that family. |
In the 19th century the burgh was governed by a provost, 3 baillies and 12 councillors.
Rothesay was a popular destination for visitors from Glasgow especially during the Glasgow Fair fortnight in July. Boatbuilding and fishing were also important activities.
The dukedom of Rothesay is traditionally conferred on the eldest son of the reigning monarch.
Rothesay is situated at the head of Rothesay Bay on the Island of Bute in the Firth of Clyde.National Grid Reference NS0864
A town, until 1975 in the county of Bute and a royal burgh until 1975. A police burgh under a local police act from 1846. The 1862 general police act was adopted in 1875. A small burgh from 1930 until 1975.
From 1707 until 1832 Rothesay had a representative in the British parliament but from the passing of the Reform Act in 1833, its representation was included in Buteshire.