|Activity||Renfrew started as a burgh of barony (created by the Stewards) but became a royal burgh in the reign of Robert III receiving a charter from him in 1396. Subsequent charters of confirmation were granted by James VI in 1575 and 1614 and by Queen Ann in 1703. |
At the date of the charter of 1614 the burgh seems to have been the principal town on the Clyde. It had bitter struggles with the neighbouring burgh of Paisley concerning burghal privileges and trade. There was at one time an important and extensive salmon fishery on the Clyde and Renfrew was an important ferry crossing.
In the 19th century the town was governed by a provost, 2 baillies, a dean of guild, a treasurer and 7 councillors. It was the county town and seat of the sheriff court for Renfrewshire.
Renfrew is situated on the south bank of the River Clyde. National Grid Reference NS5067
A town, until 1975 in the county of Renfrew and a royal burgh until 1975. A police burgh from 1855. A small burgh from 1930 until 1975.
In the 19th century the burgh united with Rutherglen, Dumbarton, Port Glasgow and Kilmarnock to return one MP to the British parliament.