|Activity||Abbot George Shaw (of Paisley Abbey) obtained in 1488 a charter which erected Paisley into a free burgh of barony. It was created a burgh of regality in favour of Lord Claud Hamilton, commendator of Paisley and 1st Lord Paisley in 1597.|
After the Reformation, the magistrates of the town purchased the superiority and other privileges from William, Lord Cochrane, who was then Lord of Paisley
Paisley was granted a crown charter in 1665 which confirmed the privileges and lands of the burgh but it did not achieve parliamentary representation until 1833.
Paisley was governed in the 19th century by a provost, 4 baillies, a treasurer and 10 councillors.
Situated in the Upper Ward of Renfrewshire and north east part of the county. National Grid Reference NS4762
Paisley was and remains an important manufacturing centre. Weaving, the production of thread and the manufacture of Paisley shawls have all played a part in the town's prosperity.
A town, until 1975 in the county of Renfrew, created a parliamentary burgh in 1833. A police burgh, under a local police act, from 1806. The General Police Act of 1862 was adopted in 1862. A large burgh from 1930 until 1975.
As a parliamentary burgh Paisley returned one MP to the British parliament in the 19th century.