|Activity||John Paterson (1632-1708), archbishop, was the son of John Paterson, Bishop of Ross. He studied theology at St Andrews University from 1655, and entered St Leonard's College as a regent in 1658, having taught the junior class in the preceding year. In 1662 he became minister of the Tron Church in Edinburgh and was promoted to the deanery of the High Kirk, 1672. Paterson was admitted as a burgess and guild-brother of Edinburgh in 1673. In 1674, Paterson was appointed to the see of Galloway, and was called to succeed his father, John Paterson (1604?-1679), at Ellon in 1679, although he continued to live in Edinburgh. In 1685 he was granted an annual payment of 1,200 marks until they built him a house and chapel. Paterson was nominated to the see of Glasgow, 1687. |
In the Revolution of 1689 he adhered to James II and continued to live privately in Edinburgh. In 1692 he was arrested for corresponding with the exiled court and held in Edinburgh Castle, subsequently banished to London, but was permitted to return to Edinburgh by 1697. The Bishop was married and had a 'numerous' family. His wife died before 1696 as in that year he talks of having received an offer of marriage from Lady Warner.
From 1702 he worked towards obtaining government grants for the relief of clergymen. He petitioned the queen personally in 1705 and received the promise of an annual grant. That year he, and the surviving four bishops, consecrated Bishops Fullarton and Sage. Paterson died in Edinburgh in 1708.