|Activity||County town and seat of sheriff court. Along with Linlithgow Lanark was chosen to make up the Court of the Four Burghs with Edinbrugh and Stirling when the loss of Berwick and Roxburgh was formally recognised in 1369. In the 19th century Lanark was governed by a provost, 3 baillies, a judge of guild court, a treasurer and 9 councillors. |
Situated about 30 miles south-east of Glasgow. National Grid Reference NS8843
A town, until 1975 in the county of Lanark and a royal burgh until 1975. A police burgh from 1855. A small burgh from 1930 until 1975 when burghal status was dissolved under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973.
Lanark united with Falkirk, Airdrie, Hamilton and lInlithgow to return one MP to the British parliament in the 19th century.