|Activity||Founded as a burgh of barony in c1214 by a charter of William the Lion in favour of William de Comyn, Baron of Lenzie and Lord of Cumbernauld. It then passed c1306 into the hands of the Fleming Family and belonged to the Earls of Wigtown from 1606-1747. On the Abolition of Heritable Jurisdictions in 1747, the burgh achieved independence and its jusidiction became similar to that of royal burghs. In the 19th century, it was governed by a senior and junior magistrate, 8 councillors, a treasurer, a town clerk and a body of police commissioners. |
Part of the detatched distirct of Dunbartonshire, om the banks of the Forth and Clyde Canal. National Grid Reference NS6573
A town, until 1975 in the county of Dunbarton, a burgh of barony until 1836, when it became a police burgh. A small burgh from 1930 until 1975.