|Activity||First appears in multiple toft grant by William the Lion (1165-1214) to the Bishop of Moray. The burgh fermes were being accounted for in the Exchequer from 1327 and around this time a chaplainry was endowed from the burghal revenues. A lost charter of 1455 is mentioned and the mediaeval burgh is not well documented although there are references to the burgh rents and burgh mill in James II's reign. and to the baillies, community and burgesses in 1493 and burgh feus in 1532. It was paying stent as a burgh in 1535. It was enrolled in the Convention of Royal Burghs sometime before 1587 and was in the Scottish parliament from 1593. Its harbour was formed in 1817 and enlarged by the Earl of Seafield in 1834. The old town was virtually demolished c1820 and a new town built nearer the sea.|
Cullen was a police burgh from 1870 and small burgh from 1930-1975.
Cullen burgh was governed by a provost, 2 baillies, a dean of guild, a treasurer, a billet master and 6 other councillors in the 19th century Chief imports coals, salt and staves and chief exports are herrings, dried fish, oats, potatoes and timber.Catching and curing of fish was the staple activity and there was also a boat building yard, a rope and sailworks, a woollen factory and a brewery.
Situated in Parish of Cullen, Banffshire National Grid Reference NJ5066
Burghs were abolished in 1975 and replaced by district councils, which in turn were replaced by current local authorities in 1996.
Cullen united with Elgin, Banff, Macduff, Peterhead, Kintore and Inverurie to return an MP to the British parliament in the 19th century