|Activity||According to the Lanercost Chronicle because of the curse of St Malachy, Annan ceased to be a burgh c1148. There are documentary references to the villa of Annan in the 13th century but the burgh reappears only in 1296 as being held of the Bruce, Lords of Annandale. It may have passed to Thomas Randolph, Earl of Moray and Lord of Annandale and is referred to as a burgh in 1347. Thereafter it disappears and reappears as a royal burgh in 1532. Presumably it passed to the crown on the extinction of the main line of Douglases in 1440. Its earliest surviving charter is a novodamus by James V in 1538/39 with the usual privileges of a royal burgh. It was admitted to the Convention of Royal Burghs in 1605 and was represented in the Scottish parliament from 1612.|
It was governed by a provost, 3 baillies and 15 councillors, with a dean of guild, treasurer and town clerk in the 19th centuryAnnan had considerable trade with Liverpool and Whitehaven in export of grain, wool, bacon and livestock and import of coal, slate, iron, herrings and salt. Its boundaries were extended in 1892.
Annan is situated inSouth Dumfriesshire, on the east bank and 2 miles above the mouth of the River Annan. National Grid Reference NY1966
It was a police burgh from 1858 and a small burgh from 1930 till 1975 when the Local Government (Scotland) Act replaced burgh and county councils with regional and district authorities. Now part of Dumfries and Gallloway Council
It united with Dumfries, Kirkcudbright, Lochmaben and Sanquhar to return one member to the British parliament in the 19th century