|Activity||Alexander Hall and Company Ltd was established in Aberdeen in 1790 in succession to the partnership of Cochar and Gibbon, and was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1904. In 1942 it was taken over by Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd and later integrated with another Burntisland subsidiary, Hall Russell and Co. Ltd. |
Hall Russell and Co. was established in Aberdeen as a general engineering concern in 1864 and incorporated in 1879 as a limited liability company, Hall Russell and Co. Ltd. It was a partnership between James and William Hall, sons of Alexander; Thomas Russell, a Glasgow engineer, and John Cardno Couper of Sussex. As trawling took off in Aberdeen in the 1890s, the company built many of these vessels, including Strathdon, Strathtay and Strathspey for the Aberdeen Steam Trawling and Fishing Company. Over the years Hall Russell built increasingly large cargo steamers for Rennie and Son, including Umvoti, Ifafa, Insizwa and Inanda, culminating in the Intaba in 1910. During the First World War, Hall Russell built minesweeper trawlers, and in the Second World War they built Flower Class corvettes and River Class frigates. The company was taken over by the Burntisland Shipping Company Ltd in 1942.
After the Second World War, they returned to fishing and cargo vessels. Star of Scotland, produced in 1947, was regarded as the most advanced fishing trawler of her time. The company also built a variety of specialised ships. These included 'Kirkella', a freezer stern trawler, in 1965; 'Pol XV', a steam whaler, in 1951; 'Sugar Importer', a motor bulk sugar carrier, in 1955; and the fishery protection vessel 'Jura' in 1973. In 1971 Hall Russell delivered the largest ship ever built in Aberdeen, the 10,500 tons deadweight cargo vessel 'Thameshaven', for a Rotterdam owner.
The Company later merged with Alexander Hall and Co. Ltd and became a member of the British Shipbuilders in 1977. The company specialized in fishing vessels but latterly also produced chemical tankers, oiling and small bulk carriers, and had a number of contracts for the Ministry of Defence. Privatised in 1986, they went into receivership two years later. In 1989, the yard was operated by A and P Appledore (Aberdeen) Ltd, a subsidiary of Cornwall Trust plc, which is now operating from Wallsend, Tyne and Wear.