Record

CodeNA11445
Dates1820-
Person NameNairnshire Commutation Road Act, 1820, Trust; 1820-
ActivityTurnpike roads were roads that were funded by the collection of tolls at toll bars or turnpikes as they were also known. It was necessary to obtain a local act of parliament to set up a turnpike road. The first such act in Scotland was in 1713 but they did not become widespread until the 1750s. Landowners obtained a local act to form a trust and were able to borrow money, impose tolls, maintain roads and build new ones. A General Turnpike Act in 1831 (1 & 2 Will. IV, c. 43) standardised the powers and functions of the trusts. They were abolished between 1878 and 1883 when the Roads and Bridges (Scotland) Act, 1878 (41 & 41 Vict., c. 51) came into force. This Act replaced all the former highway authorities including the turnpike trustees with a single road trust for each county. Some counties had already formed county road trusts and abolished tolls prior to the 1878 Act. Nairnshire Commutation Road Trust was established in 1820 by Act of Parliament. The Road Act, 1845 (8 & 9 Vict, c.41) enabled local trustees to abolish personal service on the roads and to replace it with a local tax. The Roads and Bridges (Scotland) Act, 1878 (41 & 42 Vict., c.51) placed the turnpike roads, statute labour roads, highways and bridges under the control of one road trust for each county made up of commissioners of supply and some elected members. Tolls and statute labour assessments were abolished. In 1846 both the Great North of Scotland Railway and the Perth and Inverness and Inverness and Elgin Junction Railway wished to cross the roads of the Nairnshire Commutation Trust. The Trust petitioned Parliament against the proposed rail lines and a financial compromise was reached permitting the rail lines. In the Highlands Commissioners of Supply became responsible for roads and bridges under the Highland Roads and Bridges Act 1862 (c.105). County road trusts were abolished by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889 (52 & 53 Vict. c.50) and their duties were assumed by county councils. The function was adopted by Nairn County Council in 1890.
Corporate NameNairnshire Commutation Road Act, 1820, Trust
Add to My Items