Record

CodeNA10916
Dates1982-
Person NameMurroes and Tealing Kirk Session; 1982-; Presbytery of Dundee
EpithetPresbytery of Dundee
ActivityMurroes and Tealing was formed by the union of Murroes and Tealing on 14 December 1982. Tealing was formed by the union of Tealing and Tealing United Free on 8 October 1929. Murroes and Tealing church is in the Presbytery of Dundee, which was in the synod of Angus and Mearns until the abolition of synods in 1992.MurroesThe medieval church of Murroes, also known as Muirhouse or Muraus, belonged to the Abbey of Arbroath. TealingTealing church is claimed to have been established in the eighth century by St Boniface. The medieval church of Tealing belonged to the Priory of St Andrews and was transferred from the Diocese of St Andrews to the Diocese of Dunkeld prior to 1275. The church was dedicated to St Peter the Apostle. Tealing church, located on the site of the medieval church, dates from the sixteenth century, was enlarged in 1806, altered in 1895 and is A-Listed. Tealing as it was in 1982 was formed by the union of Tealing and Tealing United Free on 8 October 1929. Tealing United FreeAt the Disruption of 1843 the majority of Tealing congregation left to form Tealing Free and erected a new church and manse. Tealing Free became Tealing United Free in 1900. The building, which is now roofless, is B-Listed.Tealing Following the union in 1929 of Tealing church and Tealing United Free the united congregation worshipped in the church of Tealing. The other buildings were sold. Murroes and Tealing Murroes and Tealing church was formed by the union of Murroes and Tealing on 14 December 1982. Murroes church was retained as the place of worship. Murroes church was rebuilt in 1848 although the tower door dates from 1642. The hall was a converted coach house, built in 1811, restored in 1998. The church is B-Listed and the hall C-Listed. The congregations of Murroes and Tealing were linked on 10 December 1963. Murroes and Tealing charge was linked with Auchterhouse on 27 February 1983.See 'The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery, 1558-1999', by Ian McCraw, (Friends of Dundee City Archives Publication 3, 2000).
Corporate NameMurroes and Tealing Kirk Session
Add to My Items