Record

CodeNA10903
Dates1982-
Person NameLogie and St John's Cross Kirk Session; 1982-; Presbytery of Dundee
EpithetPresbytery of Dundee
ActivityLogie and St John's Cross was formed by the union of Logie church and St John's Cross on 31 August 1982.Logie and St John's Cross church is in the Presbytery of Dundee, which was in the synod of Angus and Mearns until the abolition of synods in 1992.LogieThe origins of the post-Reformation Logie church are in a mission begun in 1871. Following a petition presented to Presbytery in 1872 the minister of this mission was appointed minister to Logie Chapel in 1873. This chapel was erected a chapel of ease in 1874 and the congregation was disjoined from the parish of Liff, Benvie and Invergowrie in 1877. The church building dates from 1872 and a hall was constructed in 1888.St John's CrossThe Cross church (also known as the North church) was destroyed by fire in 1645. In 1759 the building was repaired for use by the Fourth Charge of Dundee and was erected a chapel in 1788. St John's parish was disjoined from St Mary's on 3 July 1834. The church was built in 1839 but was one of the three Burgh churches destroyed by fire in 1841. After the destruction of St John's the congregation temporarily worshipped in the Gaelic Chapel on South Tay Street and the Lindsay Street Congregational Chapel from 1843 until the allocation of the South Tay Street building to the charge in 1845. In 1909 the charge erected a new church in Blackness Avenue and was added quoad sacra to the parish of Liff and Benvie. The church was opened in 1914 and extended in 1974.Logie and St John's (Cross)Following the union of Logie and St John's (Cross) in 1982, the latter's buildings were used as the congregation's place of worship and the Logie buildings sold. The original building is B-Listed.See 'The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery, 1558-1999', by Ian McCraw, (Friends of Dundee City Archives Publication 3, 2000).
Corporate NameLogie and St John's Cross Kirk Session
Add to My Items