Person NameDundee; Trinity Kirk Session; 1981-; Presbytery of Dundee
EpithetPresbytery of Dundee
ActivityTrinity was formed by the union of the charges of Baxter Park, St Matthew's and Wallacetown on 29 September 1981.Trinity church is in the Presbytery of Dundee, which was in the synod of Angus and Mearns until the abolition of synods in 1992.Baxter ParkAt the Disruption of 1843 Wallacetown Church Extension came out and continued to occupy the church as Wallacetown Free church with the consent of the Trustees. When the building was sold in 1853 the congregation used a schoolroom before erecting a church in 1857. A manse was purchased in 1874. In 1892 the congregation built a new church and sold the former to the School Board. Baxter Park church was opened in 1894. Wallacetown Free church changed its name to Baxter Park Free in 1893 and became Baxter Park United Free in 1900 and Baxter Park in 1929.St Matthew'sThe origin of St Matthew's is as a chapel of ease constituted in 1875 and the parish of St Matthew's was established on 12 January 1885. The building in Ferry Road was restored in 1971.WallacetownIn 1840 Wallacetown church was opened. At the Disruption in 1843 the majority of the congregation formed a Free Church which continued to use the former church building to meet. In 1853 the Free congregation lost out to the Church of Scotland in the contest to purchase this building. The parish of Wallacetown was disjoined form St Mary's in 1874. From 1975 to 1981 the charge was linked with Mid Craigie.TrinityFollowing the union in 1981 of Baxter Park, St Matthew's and Wallacetown, the newly formed church met in the Wallacetown buildings dating from 1840 on Crescent Street. The building was altered in 1877 and in 1891 and repairs were carried out in 1951. Trinity church is B-Listed. Baxter Park church was sold to another denomination.See 'The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery, 1558-1999', by Ian McCraw, (Friends of Dundee City Archives Publication 3, 2000).
Corporate NameTrinity Kirk Session
Add to My Items