Record

CodeNA10900
Dates1985-
Person NameLochee Old and St Luke's Kirk Session; 1985-; Presbytery of Dundee
EpithetPresbytery of Dundee
ActivityLochee Old and St Luke's was formed by the union of Lochee Old and Lochee St Luke's on 2 October 1985. Lochee Old was formed by the union of Lochee East and Lochee St Ninian's on 23 September 1959.Lochee Old and St Luke's church is in the Presbytery of Dundee, which was in the synod of Angus and Mearns until the abolition of synods in 1992.Lochee St Luke's St Luke's was erected a parish quoad sacra in 1876 when the parish was disjoined from Liff. The church building, built in 1827, was renovated and refurnished in 1883, 1897 and 1910.Lochee OldLochee East-St Ninian's' was formed by the union of Lochee East and Lochee St Ninian's on 23 September 1959. Lochee East-St Ninian's changed its name to Lochee Old later in the year.Lochee EastAt the Disruption in 1843, the majority of Lochee church seceded to the Free Church and the congregation were ejected from the church building in 1845 by the Church of Scotland. The new church opened on 18 January 1846 and the congregation had hitherto been meeting in a weaver's loft. In 1890 the church interior was redesigned and alterations made. Further additions were carried out in 1902. Lochee Free church became Lochee East United Free church in 1900 and Lochee East in 1929.Lochee St Ninian'sAt the request of a petition in 1828 a chapel of ease was established in Lochee. Following the Disruption in 1843 the remaining members of the Established congregation were temporarily ousted to meet in the Weaver's Hall until regaining the church building in 1845. The chapel achieved full status when the parish of Lochee was disjoined from Liff and Dundee St Mary's on 7 June 1880. Lochee chapel of ease was renamed Lochee St Ninian's in 1929.Lochee East-St Ninian'sFollowing the union of Lochee East and Lochee St Ninian's in 1959 the latter building was retained as the place of worship and the Lochee East building sold in 1960.Lochee Old and St Luke'sAfter the union of Lochee Old and Lochee St Luke's on 2 October 1985, the congregation worshipped in the former Lochee Old church building at the corner of Bright Street and Methven Street. The building was opened for worship on 7 February 1830 as a chapel of ease for the Established Church. It was repaired in 1883 and further altered in 1985. The building is B-Listed. The former manse of Lochee St Luke's was retained by the united congregation.See 'The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery, 1558-1999', by Ian McCraw, (Friends of Dundee City Archives Publication 3, 2000).
Corporate NameLochee Old and St Luke's Kirk Session
Add to My Items