Record

CodeNA10895
Dates1984-
Person NameMonikie and Newbigging Kirk Session; 1984-; Presbytery of Dundee
EpithetPresbytery of Dundee
ActivityMonikie and Newbigging was formed by the union of Monikie and Monifieth North and Newbigging on 6 June 1984. They had been linked charges since 6 September 1967. Monikie as it was in 1984 was formed by the union of Monikie and Monikie Craigton on 8 January 1939. Monifieth North and Newbigging church was formed by the union of Monifieth North and Newbigging in 1920. Monifieth North and Newbigging was linked with Monikie on 6 September 1967. Monifieth Free became Monifieth North in 1900. Monifieth North and Newbigging United Free Church of Scotland became Monifieth North and Newbigging church in 1929.Monikie and Newbigging church is in the Presbytery of Dundee, which was in the synod of Angus and Mearns until the abolition of synods in 1992.MonikieThe medieval church of Monikie belonged to the Tironensian Abbey of Arbroath, and was dedicated to St Andrew. The foundation dated from around 1190 when it was gifted to the Abbey by William the Lion. It was in the Diocese of Brechin. It is thought that in 1678 the church building was built or renewed. The present church is probably located on the site of the original chapel. In 1812 considerable alterations were made and in 1903 the interior reconstructed. Monikie CraigtonFollowing the Disruption in 1843, the minister and some of the congregation of Monikie church formed the secession church of Monikie Free. The congregation initially met in a grain loft following the prevention by Lord Panmure of obtaining a church site. In 1853 Fox Maule, Earl of Dalhousie granted the congregation a site upon which to erect their church and also provided endowments for its construction. In 1900 Monikie Free church became Monikie United Free and in 1929 Monikie Craigton.MonikieBoth Monikie and Monikie Craigton church buildings continued to be used after the union in 1939. Craigton manse, however, was sold and converted into Craigton Coach Inn. NewbiggingBetween 1786 and 1788, members of Newbigging parish church seceded and, together with other Seceders in Monikie, Monifieth, Barry and Panbride formed a congregation under the Antiburgher Presbytery of Perth in 1788 and built East Muir Kirk at Barrymuir. A minority of Seceders formed a congregation under the Burgher Presbytery of Perth in 1788 and erected West Muir Kirk at Newbigging in 1790. Newbigging Burgher became Newbigging United Associate Secession Church in 1820, Newbigging United Presbyterian Church in 1847 and Newbigging United Free Church of Scotland in 1900. Newbigging church, in Newbigging village in the parish of Monikie, dates from 1789 and additions were made in 1864 and 1887. Following a bequest in 1953 the building was redecorated and modernised including the installation of stained glass windows. Monifieth NorthFollowing the Disruption in 1843 the minister and members of the congregation of Monifieth church seceded. The first service in 1843 was held in a tent and a church building was erected in 1847. The church is B-Listed.Monikie and Monifieth NorthBoth church buildings continued to be used for worship following the union in 1984 of Monikie church with Monifieth North and Newbigging to form Monikie and Monifieth North and Newbigging church. The new church was later called Monikie and Newbigging. In 1999 Newbigging church was closed and Monikie became the congregation's only place of worship.See 'The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery, 1558-1999', by Ian McCraw, (Friends of Dundee City Archives Publication 3, 2000).
Corporate NameMonikie and Newbigging Kirk Session
Add to My Items