Record

CodeNA10894
Dates1962-
JurisdictionDundee
Person NameDundee; Albany Butterburn Kirk Session; 1962-; Presbytery of Dundee
EpithetPresbytery of Dundee
ActivityAlbany Butterburn church was formed by the union of Albany (formerly Rosebank-Chapelshade) and Butterburn on 26 September 1962. Butterburn United Presbyterian became Butterburn United Free church in 1900 and Butterburn in 1929.Rosebank-Chapelshade was formed by the union of Rosebank and Chapelshade on 11 February 1940.Albany Butterburn church is in the Presbytery of Dundee, which was in the synod of Angus and Mearns until the abolition of synods in 1992.Albany ButterburnAfter the union of Albany and Butterburn in 1962, the Butterburn church building located on Hill Street, Strathmartine, was used as the place of worship and Albany church sold to another denomination. On 1 June 1986 the congregation was linked to St David's North. ButterburnOn 11 March 1862 the United Presbyterian Presbytery agreed to form a congregation and elect elders to the Butterburn Kirk Session. It had hitherto been a district of no denomination. The congregation initially worshipped in a schoolroom but a new church was opened in 1865. In 1874 a gallery was erected and a hall added.RosebankThe Rosebank congregation began as a church extension in 1872. A Chapel of Ease was constituted on 5 August 1874 by the Established Presbytery and the parish of Rosebank was disjoined from St Mary's on 18 January 1875 by the Court of Teinds. A church was built on Constitution Street. ChapelshadeIn 1789 a chapel connected to the Relief Synod was built off Barrack Road (later Constitution Road). The congregation were admitted to the Church of Scotland on 7 December 1791. In 1830 the Church was enlarged. At the Disruption in 1843 most of the congregation joined the Free Church of Scotland and continued to use the church buildings although the Presbytery of Dundee regained the property in 1847. The parish of Chapelshade was disjoined from St Mary's on 18 March 1872.Rosebank-ChapelshadeRosebank Chapelshade was formed by the union of Rosebank and Chapelshade in 1940. Rosebank church became the place of worship and the Chapelshade church was sold in 1943. The name of the congregation was subsequently changed to Albany.Albany ButterburnAfter the union of Albany and Butterburn in 1962, the Butterburn building was retained and the Albany church sold to another denomination. In June 1986, the congregation was linked to St David's North. Improvements to the building were carried out in 1866. See 'The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery, 1558-1999', by Ian McCraw, (Friends of Dundee City Archives Publication 3, 2000).
Corporate NameAlbany Butterburn Kirk Session
Add to My Items