Record

CodeNA10382
Person NameDundee Methodist Church
ActivityIt is thought that the origins of Methodism in Scotland lie with English troops sent north during the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion, though John Wesley, the church’s founder, did not visit Scotland until 1751. On that occasion he visited the dragoons stationed at Musselburgh, near Edinburgh, and he later also visited Glasgow. From these two cities the Methodist form of worship spread north and west: Wesleyan Methodism was more popular in central and east coast towns, extending as far north as Inverness, while Primitive Methodism was popular in industrial towns in the early nineteenth century because of its excellent preachers, though reluctance to build chapels restricted its growth. Independent Methodists had some support around Glasgow around the same time. The general success of the movement caused a reaction in the Church of Scotland and ministers refused to administer the sacraments to Methodist worshippers, so Wesley arranged for preachers to be established in the country and to adapt the established church’s manner of worship in many ways, perhaps preliminary to the setting up of a separate Scottish connexion, as Wesley had done in Ireland and America. He died before this supposed project could be completed. Though sympathy with the Free Church and with Congregationalists caused many Methodists to leave for those churches, membership of the church more than doubled, to around 6,500, from 1860 to 1900. The Aberdeen Circuit, which included Dundee for some time, was established in 1765 and the Circuit organisation varied from time to time according to the survival of the churches. Later it became known as the North of Scotland Mission Circuit as it is today. The Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists unified in 1932 with a peak in membership of nearly 12,000. It had dropped once again to around 6,000 by the 1990s. Union with the Church of Scotland was discussed and rejected in 1979, but the churches remain co-operative.Independent Methodist Peter Street Chapel became part of Wesleyan connection in 1864. When Peter Street and Tally Street Chapels were sold the Peter Street congregation built a new church at Victoria Road, which closed in 1917, when the congregation united with Ward Road. Victoria Road Church, manse and grounds were sold to Salvation Army in 1921.
Corporate NameDundee Methodist Church
Add to My Items