Record

CodeNA10060
JurisdictionHighway Authorities
Person NameHighway Authorities; Peebleshire County Council
ActivityTurnpike roads were roads funded by the collection of tolls at toll bars or turnpikes, as they were also known. Local landowners would obtain an act of parliament for specific roads (either existing or proposed). The trustees would be empowered to borrow money, impose tolls, maintain roads and build new ones. The first such act in Scotland was in 1713 but they did not become widespread until the 1750s. A General Turnpike Act in 1831 (1 & 2 Will. IV, c.43) standardised the powers and functions of turnpike trusts. They were abolished between 1878 and 1883 when the Roads and Bridges (Scotland) Act 1878 (41 & 42 Vict., c.51) came into force. This Act replaced all the former highway authorities in landward areas, including the turnpike trusts, with a single road trust for each county. Several counties had already formed county road trusts and abolished tolls prior to the 1878 Act. All turnpike roads, statute labour roads, highways and bridges in the landward area of a county were to be under the control of a single trust composed of commissioners of supply and elected members. Tolls and statute labour assessments were abolished in favour of a uniform rate imposed on owners and occupiers of lands and heritages.Under the Peeblesshire Roads Act 1864 (27 & 28 Vict., ch.cxciii) a body of Roads Trustees was appointed which from May 1865 were to control and manage all turnpike roads within the county, and from January 1866 the statute labour roads and bridges as well. The trustees were empowered to impose assessments at a uniform rate on all lands and heritages within the county to pay for the maintenance of the roads within their charge. In counties where a local act of parliament had already abolished tolls and formed a road trust the 1878 Act was not compulsory. County road trusts were abolished in 1890 and their duties assumed by county councils acting through district committees (Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889, 52 & 53 Vict., c.50). County councils were abolished in 1975 and their powers transferred to regional, islands and district councils (Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, c.65).
Corporate NamePeebleshire County Council
Add to My Items