Record

CodeNA9151
Person NameBoyd family; family
Epithetfamily
ActivityGeorge Boyd was a partner with Thomas Oliver in the firm of Oliver & Boyd, publishers, Edinburgh. They established a printing business in John Knox's House and moved premises a few times before moving in 1824 to Tweedale Court, High Street. George's brother was John Boyd, corn merchant in Leith. The son of John Boyd was Sir Thomas Jamieson Boyd (d 1902). He became involved with the firm of Oliver & Boyd and after the retirement of Thomas Oliver in 1843, became senior managing partner. He joined the chamber of commerce and was elected master and the merchant company in 1869. In 1875 he became a town councillor and in 1877 and 1880 Lord Provost. After he retired form the town council of Edinburgh, he was elected to the fishery board. In 1881 he was knighted. He was also Commissioner of Her Majesty's northern lights, member of Her Majesty's Board of Supervision of the Poor and Honourary Colonel in the Queen's Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers. From 1879-1885 he was curator of Edinburgh University. Additional positions were Justice of the Peace, Deputy-Lieutenant of Edinburgh and Director of the Union Bank and of the Scottish Provident Institution.Professor Francis Darby Boyd (1866-1922) was born in Edinburgh in 1866, the sixth son of John Boyd. He was educated at Henderson's School and Edinburgh Academy and graduated MD from the Edinburgh University in 1893. In 1897 he was appointed physician to deaconess hospital and served with the Edinburgh and East of Scotland Hospital in South Africa. In 1893 he was appointed clinical tutor to the extra-mural physicians at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, in 1899 assistant physician and in 1913 full physician. During the First World War he was appointed to the 58th general field hospital. He was subsequently appointed as consulting physician to the forces in Egypt and Palestine. In 1904 he married Constance Lepper. He died in June 1922.Edward Boyd (d 1950), was the nephew of Sir Thomas Boyd (d 1902). He was educated at Edinburgh Academy and qualified as a chartered accountant in 1891. He joined the firm of Blaikie and Boyd in 1891. The firm amalgamated with Brewis and Rainie and Edward Boyd subsequently became the senior partner in the firm.
Add to My Items