|Activity||Grangemouth in Stirlingshire was founded in 1777 by Sir Lawrence Dundas (d. 1781) in connection with the building of the Forth and Clyde Canal during 1768 to 1773 and it quickly became a busy port. In 1799 its population was 800 and by 1831 it was 1,155. Grangemouth became a Police Burgh in 1872 on its adoption of the General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c.101). Burgh administration was carried out by 9 police commissioners who were responsible for the cleansing, lighting, policing and public health of the burgh. Its population by 1881 had risen to 4,560. Under the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c.49) the police commisioners were replaced by Grangemouth Town Council. Grangemouth was granted a seal in 1888 and the Coat of Arms was matriculated in 1930. Its main industries were soap, ship repair, ironworks and oil refining. The population in 1971 was 24,569.|
The Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c.65). The successor authorities were Central Regional Council and Falkirk District Council. These authorities were in turn replaced in 1996 by the unitary authority Falkirk Council under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994 (c.39).