|Activity||Dysart was created a burgh of barony by the St Clair family. Dysart was granted royal burgh status in 1587 by a charter from James VI. Between 1831 and 1852 Dysart failed to elect a town council and the Court of Session appointed several managers to look after the town's affairs. Dysart became a police burgh in 1834. The main industries in the town were initially salt production, coal mining, and trade with the Baltic and the Low Countries. By the nineteenth century weaving, the linoleum industry, and mining were the main sources of employment. In 1911 the population was 4,159. |
In 1930 the Burgh of Kirkcaldy and the Burgh of Dysart were amalgamated by the Kirkcaldy Corporation Order, 1930. Kirkcaldy Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973. Its powers were assumed by Fife Regional Council and Kirkcaldy District Council.