|Activity||In 1517 King James V (1513-1542) made Auchtermuchty a royal burgh, but it was never represented in Parliament or in the Convention of Royal Burghs, and became one of the four inactive royal burghs in Fife. Royal burghs normally had elected councillors who looked after the burgh’s interests, but only a small number of inhabitants had the right to vote in the council elections or to be a councillor. Burgh courts were held, which had some civil and criminal jurisdiction, although these competencies were eroded as time passed and the cases were increasingly petty local disputes. The franchise for parliamentary elections was radically changed in 1832, and the Royal Burghs (Scotland) Act 1833 (3 & 4 Will. IV, c.76) imitated the change for the election of councillors. |
Main sources of employment in the town included linen weaving and distilling. It became a police burgh in 1874 when it adopted the General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c.101). Burgh administration was carried out by police commissioners who were responsible for the cleansing, lighting, policing and public health of the burgh. Its population was 1,082 in 1871 and 1,475 in 1971. Under the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c.49) the police commissioners were replaced by Auchtermuchty Town Council in January 1901. Auchtermuchty Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c.65). Its powers were assumed by Fife Regional Council and North East Fife District Council. These in turn were replaced by Fife Council in 1996 under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994 (c.39).