|Activity||Created a burgh of barony in 1595 for Ninian Adair of Kinhilt and erected into a royal burgh in 1617 by James VI. |
It was a police burgh and was governed in the 19th century by a provost, 2 baillies, a dean of guild, a treasurer and 13 councillors.Seat of a sheriff court.
Seaport and county town of West Wigtownshire on the shores of Loch Ryan. National Grid Reference NX0560
A town, until 1975 in the county of Wigtown and a royal burgh until 1975. A police burgh from 1848. A small burgh from 1930 until 1975.
Stranraer united with Wigtown, Whithorn and New Galloway in returning one mP to the British parliament until the Redistribution Bill of 1885 disenfranchised the Wigtown burghs and merged their representation.