|Activity||Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (1836-1908), prime minister, was the son of Sir James Campbell of Strathcathro and Janet Bannerman. Sir Henry was educated at Glasgow High School, Glasgow University, 1851-1853, and Trinity College, Cambridge, graduating BA, 1858; MA,1861. While at university he joined the First Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers, forming his own company 'Campbell's Corps' from the employees of the family business. Campbell-Bannerman married Sarah Charlotte Bruce (d 1906).|
On graduating Campbell-Bannerman joined his father and uncle's business, J & W Campbell, wholesale drapers and warehousemen, becoming and remaining a partner until 1868. That year he became MP for the Stirling Burghs, a post he held until he died. He was appointed Financial Secretary to the war office 1871-1874, 1880-1882. In 1880 he purchased Belmont Castle, Meigle. In 1883 he was awarded and honorary LL D from Glasgow University, and the following year he was appointed Chief Secretary for Ireland, holding the position until 1885. In 1886 Campbell-Bannerman became Secretary of State for War but the government was dissolved. He then served on the royal commission to inquire into the civil and professional administration of the naval and military departments, 1888-1890, and in 1892 he regained his post as Secretary of State for War. On leaving that office in 1895 he was awarded the G C B.
In 1899 Campbell-Bannerman was adopted as Liberal Party leader, and in 1905 he became Prime Minister. In 1907 he was awarded an honorary DCL by Oxford and hon LL D by Cambridge University. He resigned his office in April 1908 and died a few days later.