Record

CodeNA4673
Dates1800-1817
Person NameNew Streets Trustees; 1800-1817; Aberdeen
EpithetAberdeen
ActivityAn increasing population in the city of Aberdeen at the end of the eighteenth century led to congestion on the two main roads leading into the centre of the city, the Bridge of Dee road from the south and the Bridge of Don road from the north. The magistrates and town council, local members of parliament, the Principal of Marischal College, and representatives of the Trades, shipmasters and advocates, all applied for an act of parliament in order to build two new streets in the town, obtained by the Aberdeen New Streets Act 1800 (39 & 40 Geo. III, ch.xi). The applicants were to act as trustees for the new streets. One was to run from the south west of the city east to Castle Place and the other from Old Aberdeen, east of High Street, south to Castle Place: the former was to become Union Street and the latter King Street. Each was not to exceed one hundred and sixty feet in breadth, with the street itself taking up sixty feet of that width. The feuars and landowners most likely to be affected by the development, to whom compensation would be paid, are listed in the Act. The trustees were to meet quarterly to oversee the work of employed staff. Money was raised as loans from the ratepayers of the city, who had the vision to contribute generously: wisely, the Act forbade any work to be begun on Union Street before £15,000 had been raised towards the expense, or any work on King Street before £5,000 had been raised: any money left over after the work was complete was to go to the Treasurer of the Town Council, for the use of the community. The large, single-span bridge over the Denburn, necessary to the completion of a practical Union Street, was engineered by Thomas Fletcher in consultation with Thomas Telford, and was built between 1802 and 1805. It is considerably longer than it appears, as the ground sloped gently towards the Denburn from the present Adelphi Court to the east and from Diamond Street to the west: the length between these two streets is all artificially raised. Though space had been left for buildings on either side of the new streets, by 1805 the city was bankrupt and though the streets were finished there was no money left for buildings. The property of the New Streets Trustees was made over to the Trustees of the Creditors of the Treasury in 1817 in order to clear the city's debt.
Corporate NameNew Streets Trustees
Add to My Items