|Activity||The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) is an independent non-departmental government body created in 1908 by royal warrant from King Edward VII (1901-1910) to 'make an inventory of the ancient and historical monuments and constructions connected with or illustrative of the contemporary culture, civilization and conditions of life of the people in Scotland from the earliest times to the year 1707'. Fresh Letters Patent were issued in 1948 which provided the Commissioners with the power (if they chose) to record buildings of a later date. The Commissioners themselves do not undertake the field work, which is carried out by staff based in Edinburgh, where there is an office with a library and research facility. Recording takes the form of published descriptions, drawings and photographs of sites, structures and details. The Scottish National Buildings Record (later re-named the National Monuments Record of Scotland) was transferred to the RCAHMS in 1966. Other recent responsibilities include an aerial photographic survey programme, and custody of the Scottish Industrial Archaeology Survey and of of the Scottish Office aerial photographic unit.|
RCAHMS is supported by but separate from Historic Scotland, another Government agency.