Record

CodeNA10911
Dates1962-
JurisdictionBroughty Ferry
Person NameBroughty Ferry; St Stephen's and West Kirk Session; 1962-; Presbytery of Dundee
EpithetPresbytery of Dundee
ActivityBroughty Ferry St Stephen's and West was formed by the union of Broughty Ferry St Stephen's and Broughty Ferry West on 8 November 1962. Broughty Ferry West was formed by the union of Broughty Ferry West United Free and Broughty Ferry Union United Free on 10 May 1925.Broughty Ferry St Stephen's and West church is in the Presbytery of Dundee, which was in the synod of Angus and Mearns until the abolition of synods in 1992.Broughty Ferry St Stephen'sSt Stephen's chapel was opened on 26 November 1871 and the parish was disjoined from Broughty Ferry and Monifieth on 19 July 1875. Alterations were made to the building in 1874, 1877 and 1880. The church was renovated in 1930 and refurbished in 1969. The church hall was built in 1894, destroyed by fire in 1943 and restored in 1951. The church building is A-Listed.Broughty Ferry WestBroughty Ferry West was formed by the union of Brought Ferry West United Free and Broughty Ferry Union United Free on 10 May 1925. The West church was the building used by the united congregation as a place of worship.Brought Ferry West United FreeAt the Disruption of 1843 the minister and members of the congregation of Broughty Ferry (St Aidan's) formed Broughty Ferry Free church. Initially services were held in a hall on gray Street until the church in Brook Street was opened in March 1844. A manse was obtained in 1849 and the church was enlarged in 1856 and in 1890. Sections of Broughty Ferry West United Free congregation left to form The East Free and Monifieth South Free churches. Broughty Ferry Free became Broughty Ferry West Free in 1862 when the East Free church was opened, and Broughty Ferry West United Free in 1900.Broughty Ferry United Associate SecessionA congregation calling themselves 'The Dissenters of Broughty Ferry and neighbourhood in connection with the United Secession Church' began to worship in an Independent chapel from 1837. The United Secession Church constituted the worshippers a congregation on 16 July 1838 and the first minister was ordained on 21 May 1839. A new church was opened on 22 September 1847 and was named the 'Union' church after the union of the United Secession Church and Relief Church which formed the United Presbyterian Church in that year. Broughty Ferry United Associate Secession became Broughty Ferry Union United Presbyterian in 1847 and Broughty Ferry Union United Free in 1900. Broughty Ferry West United FreeIn 1925 Broughty Ferry West United Free and Broughty Ferry Union United Free united to form Broughty Ferry West United Free. Broughty Ferry United Free church continued to be used and the Union church was sold. Broughty Ferry West United Free became Broughty Ferry West in 1929.Broughty Ferry St Stephen's and WestBroughty Ferry St Stephen's and West church was formed in 1962 by the union of Broughty Ferry St Stephen's and Broughty Ferry West on 8 November 1962. The united charge continued to worship in the St Stephen's church which dates from 1871 and is A-Listed. The West buildings were sold. See 'The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery, 1558-1999', by Ian McCraw, (Friends of Dundee City Archives Publication 3, 2000).
Corporate NameSt Stephen's and West Kirk Session
Add to My Items