Record

CodeNA10902
Dates1985-
Person NameStobswell Kirk Session; 1985-; Presbytery of Dundee
EpithetPresbytery of Dundee
ActivityStobswell was formed by the union of Ogilvie and Stobswell (formerly Park) on 1 January 1985. Stobswell was formed by the union of Park and Maryfield-Victoria on 29 June 1976. Maryfield-Victoria was formed by the union of Maryfield and Victoria Street on 8 December 1965.Stobswell church is in the Presbytery of Dundee, which was in the synod of Angus and Mearns until the abolition of synods in 1992.OgilvieFree Church prayer meetings begun in 1868 became known as the Dura Street Mission by 1871. The mission was formally constituted in 1875 and a church was opened in 1876. The charge changed its name to Ogilvie in memory of David Ogilvie who was killed in an accident nearby. Ogilvie church opened a mission hall in Dundonald Street in 1890. Ogilvie Free church became Ogilvie United Free in 1900 and Ogilvie in 1929.ParkThe congregation of Park was formed when a large group of Wishart United Presbyterian church members requested to be disjoined from that church in 1890. Initially meeting in a room in the old asylum in Park Avenue, the new charge erected a hall in 1891 in which to worship. A new Park church building was opened in 1899 which is now B-Listed. Park United Presbyterian Church became Park United Free in 1900 and Park in 1929.MaryfieldSt Mary's in the Fields chapel was opened in 1886. The General Assembly of Dundee bought and refitted this building, and renamed it Maryfield church. The first minister of Maryfield church began work in 1886. Following the extension of the building the church was reopened in 1890. A manse was bought c 1922 and the church buildings were renovated in 1923. A hall was erected in 1931. The parish of Maryfield was disjoined from Dundee St Mary's on 5 February 1904. Victoria StreetA congregation was formed in 1873 out of the United Presbyterian preaching station in existence since 1873. The congregation met in a schoolroom until the church in Victoria Street was opened in 1875. The building is B-Listed. Victoria Street United Presbyterian church became Victoria Street United Free church in 1900 and Victoria Street in 1929.Maryfield-Victoria StreetIn 1965 Maryfield and Victoria Street united and the charge continued to worship in Maryfield church. The Victoria Street church was bought by Dundee Boys Brigade.StobswellIn 1976 Park church and Maryfield-Victoria to form Stobswell church. The Park buildings were retained and the manse of Maryfield-Victoria Street was sold.StobswellFollowing the union in 1985 of Ogilvie and Stobswell churches, the united congregation continued to worship in the former Ogilvie church which dates from 1876. The building was refurbished and altered from 1987-1997. A new hall was erected in 1987. The church is now B-Listed. Ogilvie and Stobswell church changed to Stobswell c 1990.See 'The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery, 1558-1999', by Ian McCraw, (Friends of Dundee City Archives Publication 3, 2000).
Corporate NameStobswell Kirk Session
Add to My Items