|Administrative History||Comparative anatomy was considered an integral part of the anatomy curriculum until the middle part of the twentieth century, when it appears to have become less fashionable. As its role in the medical curriculum diminished, the skeletal animal remains that formed the University's Comparative Anatomy Collection were transferred to the Natural History (subsequently, Zoology) Museum in Marischal College. When the University's new Zoology building was opened at Kings College in the 1960s, the collection was gradually transferred from Marischal College.|
The University's Comparative Anatomy Collection owes much to the work of Sir John Struthers, Professor of Anatomy at the University of Aberdeen, 1863-1889. In recent years it has been augmented by purchases and donations made via members of the Zoology Department, in particular the Honorary Curators of the Zoology Museum.