Record

CollectionGB 0231 University of Aberdeen, Special Collections
LevelFonds
Ref NoMS 3860
TitleRecords of F.A. MacDonald and Partners, engineers and surveyors (incorporating Walker & Duncan, Aberdeen): maps and plans collection
DateLate 18th century - mid 20th century
Extent228 portfolios of maps and 5 loose rolled maps, c.5500 maps: 40 linear metres
Creator NameJames F Beattie & Sons; (c.1874 - c.1877)
Walker & Beattie, architectural practice, surveyors; (1877 - 1888/1889)
Walker & Duncan, architectural practice; (1891 - 1957)
F.A. MacDonald and Partners, engineers and surveyors, Glasgow (now called Fairhurst); (1902 - )
Administrative HistoryRecords amassed by Aberdeen firms of engineers and surveyors: (Beattie; later Walker and Beattie; later Walker and Duncan), in the course of their duties in Aberdeen and the north of Scotland. MacDonald and Partners, engineers and surveyors, took over the firm of Walker and Duncan in 1956.

James F Beattie & Sons: c.1874 - c.1877
Walker & Beattie, architectural practice, surveyors: 1877 - 1888/1889
Walker & Duncan, architectural practice: 1891 - 1957
F.A. MacDonald and Partners, engineers and surveyors, Glasgow (now called Fairhurst): 1902 - current. Aberdeen office opened after incorporation of Walker & Duncan, 1956.

F.A. MacDonald and Partners was founded by Frank A. Macdonald in Glasgow, in 1902, when he established himself as an agent for “Ferro-Concrete Constructions". William Fairhurst, whose name the firm was ultimately to take, joined F.A. Macdonald and Partners in 1931. In 1933 the original business was re-formed as F.A. Macdonald and Partners (Glasgow) Ltd., and traded under this name until 1947 when it reverted to a partnership form, again, as F.A. Macdonald and Partners. A sister company, F.A. Macdonald and Partners (Edinburgh) Ltd., also existed during the 1930’s, closing during the war years and re-forming under another name when peace was established. The post war years saw a rapid expansion in the general workload of the firm, and an expansion into new areas of work. The early 1950’s also saw the start of the expansion of the firm geographically, initially within Scotland, with the opening of offices in Kirkcaldy (1954, - closed 1962), Aberdeen (1956 – through the incorporation of an established Aberdeen firm, Messrs Walker and Duncan), Edinburgh (1960), Dundee (1963), Elgin (1972). Further expansion followed in England and worldwide. In 1959/1960 the firm’s name was changed to W.A. Fairhurst and Partners. As of 2012 the company is still in existence and as of this date now changed the name to just Fairhurst.

Beattie & Macdonald, C.E., Surveyors and Architects, Valuators, House and Land Agents, Inspectors for the Board of Agriculture. 21 Bridge Street, Aberdeen (fl.1899). See MS 3860/775-776.
Custodial HistoryMS 2626 papers [business papers of the firm and its predecessors] were deposited in the University in 1961, by F.A. MacDonald and Partners, land surveyors, Aberdeen and transferred from the Department of Geography to the Library in 1967. The material was sorted and arranged by Professor A.G. O'Dell, Department of Geography, University of Aberdeen, prior to deposit. Maps and plans (now comprising MS 3860), deposited at the same time, remained with the Geography Dpt. [See Report of the Library Committee, Session 1960-61, p.12].
SourceIn July 2012 the maps and plans were transferred from the Geography Department to the Sir Duncan Rice Library.
DescriptionMaps and plans acquired by F.A. MacDonald and Partners, engineers and surveyors, mid 19th century - mid 20th century (the majority collected by the firm Walker and Duncan which was incorporated by MacDonald and Partners in 1956). Maps when originally arranged and catalogued were separated into area/wards and stamped with a running 6 digit number. The existing arrangement has been maintained and individual plans catalogued as MS 3860/1, MS 3860/2 etc. Some maps are in sections and will have sub-numbers, i.e. a, b etc. In many cases, not all numbers have been used, possibly to accommodate later additions to individual series. The original portfolio reference number (e.g. A/1/1) has been recorded in the Alt_Ref_No field for each plan.].

ABERDEEN CITY: 1 - 3188 (General maps: 1 - 250, Wards 1-12: 251 - 3188)

ABERDEEN CITY (GENERAL)
Aberdeen City general maps (1 - 100)
Aberdeen Harbour (101 - 125)
Aberdeen Cemeteries (126 - 150)
Aberdeen Water Supply (151 - 175)
Aberdeen Transport (176 - 200)
Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire [Historical] (201 - 230)

ABERDEEN CITY (WARDS)
City Ward 1 - St Clements: 251 - 500
City Ward 2 - St Nicholas: 501 - 750
City Ward 3 - St Machar: 751 - 776
City Ward 3 - St Machar: 777 - 812
City Ward 3 - St Machar: 813 - 840
City Ward 3 - St Machar: 841 - 1000
City Ward 4 - Woodside: 1001 - 1250
City Ward 5 - Northfield: 1251 - 1500
City Ward 6 - Mastrick: 1501 - 1750
City Ward 7 - Rosemount (Cornhill area): 1751 - 1799
City Ward 7 - Rosemount (Stocket 2): 1800 - 1807
City Ward 7 - Rosemount (Stocket area): 1808 - 2000
City Ward 8 - Rubislaw: 2001 - 2014
City Ward 8 - Rubislaw: 2015 - 2049
City Ward 8 - Rubislaw: 2050 - 2091
City Ward 8 - Rubislaw/Fountainhall: 2092 - 2114
City Ward 8 - Rubislaw/Fountainhall: 2115 - 2135
City Ward 8 - Rubislaw: 2136 - 2189
City Ward 8 - Rubislaw: 2190 - 2237 [2250]
City Ward 9 - Holburn/Ashley area: 2251 - 2295
City Ward 9 - Holburn: 2296 - 2317
City Ward 10 - Ruthrieston: 2501 - 2551
City Ward 10 - Ruthrieston: 2552 - 2579
City Ward 10 - Ruthrieston: 2580 - 2750
City Ward 11 - Ferryhill/North of Dee: 2751 - 2776
City Ward 11 - Ferryhill: 2777 - 2804
City Ward 11 - Ferryhill/South of Dee - Kincorth: 2805 - 3000
City Ward 12 - Torry: 3001 - 3035
City Ward 12 - Torry: 3036 - 3061
City Ward 12 - Torry: 3062 - 3083
City Ward 12 - Torry: 3084 - 3113
City Ward 12 - Torry: 3114 - 3140
City Ward 12 - Torry: 3141 - 3188

ABERDEENSHIRE (General maps: 3250 - 3260, Parishes A-Z: 3501 - 25015)

ABERDEENSHIRE (GENERAL)
General: 3250 - 3254
General, covering more than one parish: 3255 - 3260

ABERDEENSHIRE (PARISHES)
Aberlour: 3501 – 3509
Aboyne/Glentanar: 3750 - 3759
Aboyne/Glentanar: 3760 - 3778
Alford: 4001 - 4018
Auchindoir/Kearn: 4251 - 4261
Auchinless: 4501 - 4623
Belhelvie: 4739 - 4767
Belhelvie: 4768 - 4795
Birse: 5001 - 5023
Bourtie: 5251 - 5270
Chapel of Garioch: 5501 - 5735
Clatt: 5751 - 5762
Cluny: 6001 - 6010
Coull: 6250 – 6255
Crathie and Braemar: 6501 - 6507
Crathie and Braemar: 6507 - 6527
Crathie and Braemar: 6528 - 6582
Crathie and Braemar: 6583 - 6568
Crathie and Braemar: 6801 - 6906
Crimond: 6751 - 6753
Cruden: 7001 - 7036
Culsalmond: 7251 - 7260
Daviot: 7501 - 7524
Drumblade: 7751 - 7752
Drumoak: 8000 - 8022
Dyce: 8251 - 8276
Dyce: 8277 - 8304
Echt: 8502 - 8515
Ellon: 8033 - 8751
Ellon: 8751 - 8764
Ellon: 8765 - 8783
Fintray: 9001 - 9008
Forbes: 24501
Forgue: 9250 - 9272
Foveran: 9501 - 9515
Fraserburgh: 9751 - 9771
Fraserburgh: 9772 - 9805
Fyvie: 10001 - 10037
Glass: 10251 - 10254
Glenbuchat: 10501 - 10502
Glenmuick, Tullich, Glengairn: 10751 - 10760
Glenmuick, Tullich, Glengairn: 10761 - 10776
Glenmuick, Tullich, Glengairn: 10777 - 10800
Huntly: 11001 - 11002
Insch: 11251 - 11257
Inverurie: 11501 - 11511
Leochel Cushnie: 14001 - 14009
Logie Coldstone: 14750 - 14769
Logie Coldstone: 14770 - 14792
Longside: 15001 - 15013
Lonmay: 15251 - 15261
Lumphanan: 15501 - 15506
Lumphanan: 15507 - 15525
Lumphanan: 15526 - 15549
Kemnay: 12250 - 12271
Kintore: 13501 - 13527
Keig: 11751 - 11772
Keithhall & Kinkell: 12001 - 12015
Kennethmont: 13751 - 13755
Kildrummy: 12501 - 12598
Kincardine O'Neil: 12751 - 12788
Kinnellar: 18001 - 18018
King Edward: 13251
Leslie: 14251 - 14256
Logie Buchan: 14501 - 14504
Meldrum: 15751 - 15758
Methlick: 16000 - 16001
Midmar: 16251 - 16257
Monquhitter: 16501 - 16504
Monymusk: 16751 - 16756
Monymusk: 17001 - 17008
New Deer: 18251 - 18261
New Deer: 18262 - 18283
Newhills: 18501 - 18527
Newhills: 18528 - 18547
Newhills: 18548 - 18576
Newhills: 18577 - 18600
New Machar: 18751 - 18796
Old Deer: 19001 - 19017
Old Deer: 19018 - 19034
Old Machar: 19251 - 19273
Old Machar: 19274 - 19304
Old Machar, Balgownie: 19308 - 19365
Oyne: 19601 - 19624
Peterculter, Culter, Milltimber: 19751 - 19772
Peterculter/Culter: 19773 - 19817
Peterculter/Culter: 19818 - 19855
Peterculter/Culter Estate: 19856 - 19865
Peterculter: 19866 - 19926
Peterculter: 19927 - 20008
Peterculter/Cults: 20001 - 20085
Peterculter: 20086 - 20155
Peterhead: 20251 - 20276
Peterhead: 20277 - 20301
Peterhead: 20302 - 20330
Pitsligo: 20501 - 20512
Rathen, Cairnbulg and Inverallochy: 21251 - 21267
Rathen: 21268 - 21284
Rayne: 21501 - 21513
Rhynie: 21751
Skene: 22751 - 22761
Skene: 22762 - 22791
Slains: 22501 - 22502
St Fergus: 22251 - 22253
Strathdon: 23001 - 23010
Strathdon: 23011 - 23018
Strichen: 23251 - 23263
Tarland: 23501 - 23516
Tarland: 23516 - 23525
Tarland: 23526 - 23535
Tarves: 23751 - 23767
Tough: 24001 - 24009
Towie: 24251 - 24268
Tullynessle and Forbes: 24502 - 24508
Turriff: 24751 - 24772
Tyrie: 25001 - 25015

BANFFSHIRE (General maps, Parishes A-Z: 30101 - 32300)
Aberlour: 30101 - 30200
Alvah: 30201 - 30300
Banff: 30301 - 30400
Boharm: 30401 - 30500
Botriphnie: 30501 -30600
Boyndie: 30601 - 30700
Cabrach: 30701 - 30800
Cullen: 30801 - 30900
Deskford: 30901 - 31000
Fordyce: 31001 - 31100
Forglen: 31101 - 31200
Gamrie: 31201 - 31300
Grange: 31301 - 31400
Inveravon: 31401 - 31500
Inverkeithny: 31501 - 31600
Keith: 31601 - 31700
Kirkmichael: 31701 - 31800
Marnoch: 31801 - 31900
Mortlach: 31901 - 32000
Rathven: 32001 - 32100
Ordiquhill: 32101 - 32200
Rothiemay: 32201 - 32300

KINCARDINESHIRE (General: 33001 - 33250, Parishes A-Z: 33251 - 38000)
General (County maps): 33001 - 33250
Arbuthnott: 33251 - 33500
Banchory-Devenick: 33501 - 33534
Banchory-Devenick: 33535 - 33554
Banchory-Devenick; Ardoe Estate: 33555 - 33579
Banchory-Devenick: 33580 - 33750
Banchory-Ternan: 33751 - 33782
Banchory-Ternan: 33783 - 33818
Banchory-Ternan: 33819 - 34250
Benholm: 34001 - 34250
Bervie: 34251 - 34500
Davo: 35751
Dunnottar: 34501 - 34750
Durris: 34751 - 35000
Fettercairn: 35001 - 35250
Fetteresso: 35251 - 35256
Fetteresso/Newtonhill: 35257 - 35269
Fetteresso/Cowie: 35270 - 35279
Fetteresso/Muchalls: 35280 - 35311
Fetteresso/Stonehaven: 35312 - 35321
Fetteresso: 35322 - 35500
Fordoun: 35501 - 35750
Garvock: 35752 - 36000
Glenbervie: 36001 - 36250
Kinneff: 36251 - 36500
Laurencekirk: 36501 - 36750
Maryculter: 36751 - 36760
Maryculter: 36761 - 36781
Maryculter: 36782 - 37000
Marykirk: 37001 - 37250
Nigg (Middleton lands): 37251 - 37500
St Cyrus: 37501 - 37750
Strachan: 37751 - 37800

ANGUS: 44001 - 44042
Angus: Dundee (General): 44001 - 44020
Angus: Airlie, Keithock: 44022 - 44042

ARGYLL: 44251 - 44253
CAITHNESS: 44501 - 44502
DUNBARTONSHIRE: 44751
FIFE: 45001 - 45002

INVERNESS-SHIRE: 42001 - 42027
Inverness-shire including Hebrides: 42001 - 42008
Inverness-shire: 42009 - 42015
Inverness-shire - South Uist, OS Plans: 42015 - 42027

LANARKSHIRE: 45251 – 45252
MIDLOTHIAN: 45751

MORAYSHIRE: 4001 - 40250
Morayshire 40001 - 40019
Morayshire water supplies: 40020 - 40250

NAIRN COUNTY: 41001 - 41029

NORTH-EAST GENERAL: 43001 - 43150
North-east Scotland General: 43001-43002
North-east Scotland General: 43003-43004
North-east Scotland General: 43101 - 43105
North-east Scotland General: 43106 - 43107
North-east Scotland General: 43108 - 43150

PERTHSHIRE: 46001 - 46012
Perthshire (General): 46001 - 46004
Perthshire (General): 46005 - 46012

ROSS-SHIRE: 46251 - 46254
SUTHERLAND: 46501 - 46503
ENGLAND: 48001 – 48003
SCOTLAND RAILWAYS: 48500 - 48504
ArrangementSee Description field. Substantial checking and editing of the descriptions for each folder was carried out by volunteer D. Harding between 2012 and 2013 and this identified a number of missing or misplaced plans.
Access StatusOpen
Related MaterialMS 2626: Records of F.A. MacDonald and Partners, engineers and surveyors, Aberdeen, covering period c.1732-1952. This collection of business papers was amassed by F.A. MacDonald and Partners and their predecessors in the course of their duties.

Copies of some of the plans which are part of MS 3860 are available to view on the National Library of Scotland website at https://maps.nls.uk/ and there are also other plans from the MacDonald collection, for example 'Culter House & Gardens. Plan of Gardens and Grounds', 1909 (DP 085813), on the Canmore website: https://canmore.org.uk/.

ACC 670: Map of Glasgow, 1866.
Publication Note'The Early Maps of Scotland' (2 volumes), published by the Royal Scottish Geographical Society (1973, 1983).
Also see articles by Douglas Lockhart in 'Cairt' (newsletter of the Scottish Maps Forum), Issue 29, July 2016 and 'Scottish Local History' journal, Issue 95, Autumn 2016.
Finding AidsWhen housed in the Geography Department the plans were catalogued on index cards. Additional information was transferred from these cards into the CALM database in 2015-2016 and the cards discarded, except where discrepencies were noted. These cards were retained in the deposit file for MS 3860.
Related RecordMS 2626
Add to My Items