|Administrative History||Richard Cameron Kelman (MA 1930). Son of James S Kelman, ships-stores merchant. Born Aberdeen 22nd November 1910. Set up practice as Chartered Accountant 1935. Senior partner of R.C. Kelman & Shirreffs C.A., Aberdeen. Richard Kelman was a Director and the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Craigenlow Quarries Limited. |
Craigenlow Quarries Limited was formed in 1945 (formally registered in June 1945) after agreement for a lease to work the site, from the owner of Dunecht Estate, Lord Cowdray. The company had the aim of stone crushing for use in manufacturing dry and bitumen road coatings. The original promoters of the Company were William Kemp McLeod, builder, Norman Whitehead, builders merchant, Robert Stephen, bank agent and Richard Cameron Kelman, Chartered Accountant. In addition the first directors were William Kemp McLeod and brother of Richard Kelman, James Kelman. Richard Cameron Kelman became the Chairman and Managing Director in 1961.
In 1959 many shares were bought by Shirman Enterprises (Aberdeen) (S.E.A.L.) (formerly called Rossie Island Shipbuilding Company Limited) and Craigenlow Quarries Limited later became a subsidiary of S.E.A.L. There were other subsidiaries of Shirman which were closely connected to Craigenlow Quarries as well: Road Seal Limited and Keystone Enterprises (Aberdeen) Limited.
S.E.A.L. and its subsidiaries including Craigenlow Quarries were in discussions about a merger with Tarmac Holdings for many years and that was finally completed in 1980.