|Administrative History||Alexander Smith (1696-1766 ) was a squarewright in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire in the 18th century. His father, Georg[e] Smith (1647-1727), was born in Fraserburgh; his mother, Isobel Bisset (d. 1728), lived in Ratray in the parish of Crimmond. They married in 1695 and his father established himself as a merchant in Fraserburgh around 1671, although it appears he also worked as a mason. Alexander Smith was sent to school at Fraserburgh and then to 'the Latin School' before he was apprenticed as a squarewright to Alexander Smith of Longside c. 1712. He married Margaret Keith (d. 1721) on 14 October 1719 and then Mary Buchan on 2 October 1722. They had thirteen children but not all lived into adulthood.|
William John Woodman-Smith, 1858-1914. Son of Dr George John Woodman Smith, Kilmorack, Inverness-shire, and Isabella Maclennan. Born at Tomich, educated at Turiff, Aberdeen Grammar School and Edinburgh University. Apprenticed to his step father William Skinner, solicitor, Turiff. Junior partner (from 1881), partner from 1886, in Aberdeen solicitors, Burnett & Reid. The family home was Laithers House, Turiff and he lived there from 1902 until the house was sold at the end of World War One.
|Custodial History||Alexander Smith diary deposited by Felicity Clayton, 21 November 2007|
William John Woodman-Smith diaries deposited by Felicity Clayton, grandaughter of William John Woodman-Smith, March 2010
|Description||Journal of Alexander Smith, squarewright in Fraserburgh, 1727-1766, containing account of his work and personal life. He discusses in great detail members of his family and notes his work for local lairds Lords Braco and Saltoun among others. A very religious man, there are numerous parts of the book where he expresses his devotion to God. Places mentioned include Longside, St. Fergus, Peterhead, Banff, Boynlie, Nairn and Strichen.|
11 diaries of William John Woodman-Smith, 1870, 1872, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1876, 1877, 1879, 1880, 1881 and 1882, particulars of Laithers Estate and enclosures with historical notes made by depositor.