|Administrative History||The Deeside Field Club was formed in 1920 following a suggestion by William Murdoch to establish a club that would visit local sights of importance and interest. A public announcement was made of a meeting to be held on the 18th of June 1920 at the Grand Hotel, Aberdeen, for those interested in the formation of such a club. Positions established were; President, two Vice Presidents, Secretary, Recorder, Treasurer, Editor of the Club's Magazine, and a Council consisting of the above Office Bearers, and at least nine other members of the Club.|
The aims of the Club, as detailed in their constitution, were; 'The study of Topography, Natural History, Archeaology, Folkore History and Literature of Deeside and the North East, Commemoration of Events and Personalities of the Area.'
The main activities of the Club involved field trips to sights of interest in the local area, which were undertaken in the summer months. The winter programme involved one or two lectures given by guest speakers. They also held social events such as dinners and luncheons. The Club gave financial support to restore historical ruins in the local area, such as Kindrochit Castle. The Deeside Field Club also erected several historical memorial stones. The Club published a magazine entitled 'The Deeside Field Club' every three years, beginning in 1922. Their slogan was 'Add Glory to the Past'.
The Club was dissolved on the 23rd April 2005 after the failure to replace John Smith as Honorary Secretary of the Deeside Field Club after his death in 2004.
|Copyright||Subject to the condition of the original, copies may be supplied for private research use only on receipt of a signed undertaking to comply with current copyright legislation. Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the University Archivist and, where appropriate, from the copyright owner. Where possible, assistance will be given in identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material. |