|Administrative History||The Aberdeen Royal Infirmary Linen Guild charity (later the Linen and Comfort Guild) was established in 1920 to provide free comforts for patients at the Infirmary, and to collect donations and subscriptions to assist the Guild in its objectives. Membership of the Guild consisted of Honorary Members, Ordinary Members and Sewing Members. To carry out the work of the Guild, office bearers were elected at the Annual General Meeting to the posts of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Convener and a Vice-Convener of the Work Party.|
Although the Guild originally served patients at the Royal Infirmary, by 1962, they were also providing items for Glenburn Wing, Woodend Hospital and Morningfield Hospital. There was a major extension of both their services and their geographical coverage in the year 1967/68, when the Guild approved donations to the City Hospital, the Maternity Hospital, Inverurie Hospital, Tor-na-Dee, Glen O'Dee, and Insch & District War Memorial Hospital. The following year, the Guild expanded still further to contribute items to Cornhill and Associated Hospitals.
Production was carried out by a sewing team at the Guild offices and also independently by volunteers. They produced a wide range of garments including nightdresses, bed and theatre socks, knee rugs, cardigans, shoulder wraps and baby pillows.
The Guild had premises at 173a Union Street before moving in November 1961 to offices at 27 Albyn Grove. By 1969, larger premises were required to accommodate the increased workload and the Guild secured a flat at 171 Union Grove. This remained their headquarters until it was sold in 1991, following the decision to dissolve the charity.
|Custodial History||The records were in the custody of the last Honorary Treasurer of the Guild and were passed to the University by her husband following her death.|
|Description||The collection largely comprises financial records and includes: annual statements of income and expenditure, 1960 - 1994, annual reports, 1962 - 1990, cash book, 1963 - 1992, register of subscribers, 1931 - 1990, and papers relating to the dissolution of the charity, 1991 - 1993.|