|Collection||GB 0231 University of Aberdeen, Special Collections|
|Ref No||MS 3337|
|Title||Aberdeen Diocesan Library: manuscript volumes|
|Date||c 1665 - 1907 |
|Creator Name||Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney (1865 - ) |
Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Aberdeen (fl 1783 - 1865)
|Administrative History||The Scottish Episcopal Church has common roots with the other Scottish churches going back to at least the 4th century AD. It became a non-established autonomous church in 1690, formed by those who refused to accept the Revolution Settlement, when the Church of Scotland was established as Presbyterian without bishops. In the north east episcoplianism retained considerable support, with one third of all Episcopal clergy in Scotland in the Diocese of Aberdeen in 1784. During the 18th century the Church suffered because of its continuing support for the Stuart dynasty/ Jacobite cause. Nevertheless it revised its Scottish liturgy and administration and retained a distinct spirituality. It is part of the world-wide Anglican Communion, and consecrated the first bishop for the United States of America in Aberdeen in 1784. |
The Scottish Episcopal Dioceses of Aberdeen and Orkney were united in 1865 to form the united Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney. Its geographic extent covers Orkney, Shetland, Aberdeen, and parts - though not all - of the old counties of Aberdeenshire, Banffshire and Kincardineshire.
Details from David M. Bertie, Scottish Episcopal Clergy 1689-2000 , (Edinburgh: Clarke, 2000). Further information about the history of the Diocese and individual churches is contained therein.
|Source||Marks of provenance indicate that the Diocesan Library was built up from the 16th century by clergy and others in the Diocese. Discussions between the Diocesan Librarian, F.C. Eeles, and the University Librarian, P.J. Anderson, resulted in an agreement in 1911 to the permanent loan of the Aberdeen Diocesan Library to Aberdeen University Library, and some of the rarer items were transferred soon afterwards. It was not until 1926 that the University Library was able to accommodate the main part of the Diocesan Library, which had been housed meanwhile in various locations. The manuscript volumes described here were extracted from the main library of printed books in 1997-98. They include some volumes donated by F.C. Eeles and 6 volumes of sermons donated by the Reverend James B. Craven, Archdeacon of Orkney.|
|Description||This mixed collection comprises manuscript volumes extracted from Aberdeen Diocesan Library. It includes minutes of the Aberdeen Clerical Association, 1858 - 1907; Several volumes of sermons, c. 1692 - c. 1860, including some by the Right Reverend Alexander Jolly, Bishop of Moray (1758-1838); an 'Index to Sermons preached in St. Andrews Chapel Aberdeen' , 1795-1816; notes and transcripts on various theological issues, including a 480-page volume entitled 'Purgatory', 1850, and a 96-page volume containing descriptions of Jewish ceremonies, n.d.; a 200 page volume containing hymns and psalms set to music, 1863; along with earlier theological material, volumes of lecture notes on philosophy and mathematics, and other miscellaneous items. Miscellaneous items in the collection include a 'Fishing Book' , containing records of salmon fishing on the River Don, 1773 - 1793; 'James Finlay's Musick Book', c 1800; a 38-page volume containing accounts of travels in Spain, 1790; and 'Bibliotheca Curiosa: a Catalogue of Curious and Rare Books' , n.d. |
|Arrangement||None observed - summary list only.|
|Access Conditions||The records are available subject to the signed acceptance of the Department's access conditions.|
|Copyright||Subject to the condition of the original, copies may be supplied for private research use only on receipt of a signed undertaking to comply with current copyright legislation. Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the University Archivist and, where appropriate, from the copyright owner. Where possible, assistance will be given in identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material. |
|Physical Description||No physical characteristics affecting use of collection.|
|Related Material||Diocesan and parish records:|
The Aberdeen Diocesan Library (printed books) is deposited in the University's Special Libraries and Archives (ref. DL). Related correspondence in the papers of F.C. Eeles, 1911 - 1931 (ref. MSU 602).
Records of the Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney, 1600 - 1980 (ref. MS 3320). Comprising diocesan records, records of St Andrew's Cathedral, Aberdeen, and records of 49 local churches in the Diocese.
Records of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Aberdeen, 1730-1974 (ref. MS 3499). Includes church registers (including baptism, marriage and burial) and other early records, which were absent from the St Andrew's Cathedral records deposited in MS 3320.
Lonmay Episcopal Church registers, 1727 - 1854 (transcripts) (ref. MS 2748)
Peterhead Episcopal Church baptism registers, 1738 - 1788 (transcripts) (ref. MS 2749)
Inventory of St Peter's Episcopal Church, Fraserburgh, c 1963 (ref. MS 2450)
Sermons preached at the Scottish Episcopal Churches at Meikelfolla, Macterry, Tillydesk, Chapelhall, Kinharrachy, Old Meldrum, Banff, Portsoy, Ellon, Turriff, Lonmay, Crichy, Parkdargue, 1774-1862 (ref. MS 3504).
Photographic printer's blocks of churches, officials and occasions in the Scottish Episcopal Church Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney, with corner stone of ancient altar at Lonmay, undated (ref. MS 3533).
Personal papers of individuals associated with the church:
Personal papers of F. C. Eeles, regarding the Episcopal Church in Scotland, 1862 - 1863 (ref. MS 2507)
Personal papers of Reverend James B. Craven (1850 - 1924), Archdeacon of Orkney (ref. MS 0894 - 0896; MS 2150 - 2156; MS 2197). These deposits contain Reverend Craven's antiquarian and genealogical research notes, as well as papers relating to his extensive research and several publications on the history of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Episcopal Church in Scotland and Dr Henderson: letters and papers by a lay Episcopalian, Aberdeen, 1831 (ref. MS 2180)
Episcopal Church in Scotland: Canons and Constitutions ecclesiastical, gathered and put in form for the church of Scotland, 1636 (transcript) ref. MS 0904)
Episcopal Church in Scotland: A Shorter Catechism, 1726 (ref. MS 2074)
|Related Record||MS 3320 |