|Administrative History||The United Kingdom Patternmakers' Association was established in Sunderland, in 1872. It was a founder member of the Federation of Engineering and Shipbuilding Trades of the United Kingdom (est. 1891), and is affiliated to the Confederation of Shipbuilding and Engineering Unions. In 1920, when a large number of other engineering unions joined together to form the Amalgamated Engineering Union, the United Kingdom Patternmakers' Association chose to retain its independence, though other organisations representing patternmakers did join the new union at this time. It's name was changed to the Association of Patternmakers and Allied Craftsmen in 1969. |
The first meeting of the Aberdeen branch of the Association was held on 12 Nov 1889.
Further information about the development of the trade union movement and the history of individual trade unions in Aberdeen can be found in William Diack, 'History of the Trades Council and the Trade Union Movement in Aberdeen' (Aberdeen: Aberdeen Trades Council, 1939), and in Kenneth D. Buckley, 'Trade Unionism in Aberdeen 1870 - 1900' (Edinburgh and London: Oliver and Boyd, 1955). Arthur Marsh and Victoria Ryan, 'Historical Directory of Trade Unions' , 4 vols (Aldershot: Gower, 1980 - 1984) also contains useful information about the development of individual unions, at both the national and local level. Summarised details from each of these sources has been used in compiling this collection level description.
|Description||Minutes, 1889 - 1941; cash books (expenditure, Treasurer's and Secretary's), 1889 - 1967; contribution books (Treasurer's and Secretary's), 1897 - 1935; admission books, 1889 -1943; membership application forms, c. 1920 - 1950; Trade and Sick benefit record book, 1907 - 1920; sick steward's book, 1950 - 1955; correspondence, 1896 - 1957 (incomplete); forms and correspondence re. military service by members, c. 1930 - 1950; annual reports, 1909 - 1959 (incomplete), monthly reports, 1935 - 1952 (incomplete); printed papers, 1935 - 1959 (including rule books, 1935 - 1951, and misc. circulars and agreements, 1946 - 1957). |
|Copyright||Subject to the condition of the original, copies may be supplied for private research use only on receipt of a signed undertaking to comply with current copyright legislation. Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the University Archivist and, where appropriate, from the copyright owner. Where possible, assistance will be given in identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material. |