|Administrative History||The Aberdeen Typographical Society was formed in March 1853, with a membership of 39. It was dissolved little more than a year later, on 1 May 1854, and replaced by a new group called the Aberdeen Typographical Association (est. 22 May 1854). The Association became a branch of the Scottish Typographical Association in June 1885. |
Sarah C. Gillespie, 'A Hundred Years of Progress: the record of the Scottish Typographical Association, 1853 - 1952' (Glasgow: Maclehose, 1953) contains more details about the organisation and its activities.
Further information about the development of the trade union movement and the history of individual trade unions in Aberdeen can be found in William Diack, History of the Trades Council and the Trade Union Movement in Aberdeen (Aberdeen: Aberdeen Trades Council, 1939), and in Kenneth D. Buckley, Trade Unionism in Aberdeen 1870 - 1900 (Edinburgh and London: Oliver and Boyd, 1955). Arthur Marsh and Victoria Ryan, Historical Directory of Trade Unions , 4 vols (Aldershot: Gower, 1980 - 1984) also contains useful information about the development of individual unions, at both the national and local level. Summarised details from each of these sources has been used in compiling this collection level description.
|Copyright||Subject to the condition of the original, copies may be supplied for private research use only on receipt of a signed undertaking to comply with current copyright legislation. Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the University Archivist and, where appropriate, from the copyright owner. Where possible, assistance will be given in identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material. |