|Administrative History||The Aberdeen branch of the Scottish National Operative Plasterers' Federal Union was established on 3 Dec 1889, though a plasterers' union is known to have existed already in Aberdeen in 1866, when Aberdeen Trades Council was formed. The union's name was changed in 1941 to the Scottish National Operative Plasterers' Union; in 1959 to the Scottish Plasterers' Union; and in 1966 to the National Association of Operative Plasterers. On 1 July 1968 it became part of the Transport and General Workers' Union (Craft Section). |
The minutes of the Aberdeen Branch, 1924 (described below), suggest that it was also known as the Scottish National Operative Plasterers' Protective and Benefit Union at this time.
Further information about the development of the trade union movement and the history of individual trade unions in Aberdeen can be found in William Diack, 'History of the Trades Council and the Trade Union Movement in Aberdeen' (Aberdeen: Aberdeen Trades Council, 1939), and in Kenneth D. Buckley, 'Trade Unionism in Aberdeen 1870 - 1900' (Edinburgh and London: Oliver and Boyd, 1955). Arthur Marsh and Victoria Ryan, 'Historical Directory of Trade Unions', 4 vols (Aldershot: Gower, 1980 - 1984) also contains useful information about the development of individual unions, at both the national and local level.
|Description||This collection contains records of the Aberdeen branch of the Scottish National Operative Plasterers' Federal Union, and its predecessor and successor organisations. It has been listed under this title at the request of the depositors. |
Minutes, 1889 - 1972; income and expenditure book, 1935 - 1945; correspondence, 1889 - 1899; misc. printed papers and publications, 1924 - 1965 (including Rules and working regulations to be adhered to by members of the Scottish National Operative Plasterers' Protective and Benefit Union (1924), and Scottish Plasterer's Union Pence books , 1961 and 1964).
|Copyright||Subject to the condition of the original, copies may be supplied for private research use only on receipt of a signed undertaking to comply with current copyright legislation. Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the University Archivist and, where appropriate, from the copyright owner. Where possible, assistance will be given in identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material. |