|Administrative History||The Ordnance Survey was founded in 1791 by Charles Lennox (1735 - 1806), 3rd. Duke of Richmond, Master-General of the Board of Ordnance 1782 - 1795. The need for an accurate survey of Britain had become apparent 46 years before following the Jacobite Rebellion. The first Ordnance Survey maps of Great Britain date from 1801 with the publication of the 1 inch map of Kent. The marketing of maps for civilian use began in 1914 and coincided with an increase in outdoor pursuits such as cycling and walking. During the First and Second World Wars, the Ordnance Survey returned to its military role but following the end of each war, civilian needs again became important. In 1938, the report of the Davidson Committee recommended the re-surveying of Britain and introduced the mapping scales that are currently in use. The Ordnance Survey became a civilian organisation in 1983 but remains a government department. For further information, see Tim Owen and Elaine Pilbeam: Ordnance Survey: Mapmakers to Britain since 1791 (HMSO / Ordnance Survey, 1992).|
James Forbes Beattie & Sons was a firm of land surveyors in Aberdeen in the mid - late 19th century.
|Copyright||Subject to the condition of the original, copies may be supplied for private research use only on receipt of a signed undertaking to comply with current copyright legislation. Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the University Archivist and, where appropriate, from the copyright owner. Where possible, assistance will be given in identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material.|