| Administrative History | Deer Abbey in Aberdeenshire was founded by St. Drostan around 520 A.D. The original site is no longer known, but the abbey was refounded in 1219 by William Comyn, Earl of Buchan, as a Cistercian foundation. It was never large or powerful and after the Reformation the buildings fell quickly into decay. They were rescued by Sir James Ferguson of Pitfour in 1809, but the Catholic Church returned the property to the State in 1930 and the ruins have been preserved ever since. |
| Custodial History | The photographs were in the library by 1939. |