|Administrative History||Bulloch; John Malcolm (1867-1938); literary critic. John Malcolm Bulloch was born in Aberdeen in 1867, the son of John Bulloch who edited 'Scottish Notes and Queries'. He contributed to 'Scottish Notes and Queries' from an early age, and graduated MA from Aberdeen in 1888. Active in student affairs, he was one of the originators of the Students’ Song Book in 1891 and worked on student magazines, thus paving the way for a career in journalism. Though he edited several illustrated papers, he eventually found his niche as a literary and theatrical critic in London, donating most of the books he reviewed to Aberdeen University Library. He also maintained his interest in the history of the North-East and produced scholarly works on the family of Gordon and the Territorial Army. He died in 1938, and his funeral took place in King’s College Chapel, Aberdeen.|
|Description||Collection of papers and photographs compiled by John Malcolm Bulloch, c.1934, relating to barracks in Aberdeen, 1794-1934. |
The collection includes an album of photographs of the Aberdeen Company of the Volunteer Medical Staff Corps, and others, 1897-1901, which is inscribed To Dr Bulloch, by John Malcolm Bulloch; papers relating to Castle Hill Barracks (1794 - 1934), including transcripts of documents, 1795-1899, dealing with acquisition of the land, together with plans of the site and a history of the opening ceremony by John Malcolm Bulloch; papers and photographs relating to the opening ceremony at the Bridge of Don Barracks, 1934.